Chapin Hall of Fame
On November 12, 2017, the Town of Chapin will induct four new members into the Chapin Hall of Fame in recognition for their outstanding contributions to Chapin, it citizens and its way of life. The ceremony will be held at 3:00 pm in the Community Room at Town Hall (157 NW Columbia Avenue). The public is invited to attend.
The Class of 2017 is comprised of Ewart John “Jack” Edgerton, Jr., Herbert “Hub” J. Lindler, Heyward D. Shealy, and Richard “Dick” B. Weldon. Mrs. Betsy Edgerton will accept the honor on behalf of her late husband.
The first annual observance of the Chapin Hall of Fame began in 1989, which was also Chapin's Centennial Year. Its purpose was to recognize individuals, living or dead, who have exhibited a strong commitment to the Chapin community, through public service, charitable support, volunteerism, youth engagement, education, business pursuits, political activism, church involvement or civic leadership.
Individuals who are inducted into the Hall of Fame, or their representative, receive a commemorative plaque. Their names also are inscribed on a Hall of Fame Roll Plaque located at the Town Hall.
Class of 2017
Born in Columbia, SC in 1948, Jack grew up in Forest Acres and graduated from AC Flora in 1966. He graduated from Wofford College in 1970 and served in the Army National Guard. His lifetime career was with Adluh Flour, and he retired as President in 2011. Jack was active in the SC Food Industry (past president), Columbia Vista Guild (past president), and the Lexington Development Board.
Jack and his wife Betsy moved to Chapin 1974 with their two daughters, Beth and Kay. A longtime member of Mt. Horeb Lutheran Church, he served on Church Council, Lutheran Men and as a Sunday school teacher. He was a member of the Chapin Ruritan and Sertoma Clubs and the Little Mountain Masonic Lodge. Jack also served on Chapin Town Council from 1978-2001, where he served as Mayor pro tem and oversaw the establishment of zoning, planning and utilities operations for the town. He also worked to gain reliable water service from City of Columbia and to close the Suffolk Chemical Plant. Edgerton died in 2015, after a lengthy battle with Alzheimer’s disease.
Born in Chapin, SC in 1930, Hub Lindler was the youngest of nine children. He attended Chapin schools, played on the first football team at Chapin High and graduated in 1947. He worked at the Chapin Esso station and was drafted into the US Army in 1951. He served in Korea and was wounded in 1952. He spent nine months at Fort Campbell in KY in recovery and was honorably discharged in 1953. Hub received the Purple Heart and various other awards for his injuries during combat.
Lindler has been married to Cathryn Riddle Linder for 66 years and has two daughters, Juleen Stuck and Vicky Edwards, and three grandsons. Upon returning to Chapin, he took classes in TV and radio repair and opened his own business, Lindler’s Radio and TV Repair Service. He also was a substitute clerk and letter carrier for the Chapin Post Office before coming a full-time carrier. He has long been active in Chapin as a baseball coach, volunteer firefighter, lifetime member of the DAV, charter member of American Legion Post 193 and longtime member of Mt. Horeb Lutheran Church.
Heyward Shealy was born and raised in Little Mountain, SC. He worked at Thomas & Howard Wholesale Grocery during his time at Newberry College. In 1960, he opened Chapin’s first modern grocery store, the Chapin Red & White on Clark Street. Eight years later he moved the store to Village Square, where the Publix is now located. Shealy was well known for his friendly, trusting nature. He routinely carried groceries to people’s cars and sometimes even to their homes or businesses. Known as the Happy Grocer, he was named Grocer of the Year in 1976.
Shealy was president of the Food Retailers Association, Chapin Merchants Association and Chapin Ruritan Club. He supported the local schools and was an early member of the Chapin Volunteer Fire Department. He was also active in the banking world, serving on the advisory board for Southern Bank & Trust and helping form Midlands National Bank in Chapin.
Born in Latta, SC, in 1929, Dick Weldon grew up in Bennettsville and graduated from high school in 1945. He attended Clemson in 1946, served in the US Marine Corp for two years, and then attended and played baseball for Presbyterian College, graduating in 1952. He began his coaching career at Bamberg High School, then spent 10 years at University of South Carolina where he served as assistant football coach, head recruiter and head baseball coach. Next Dick went on to serve as head football coach at Sumter High School and then Lexington High School. His overall record was 538 wins, 189 losses, five ties and included state championships in football, boys’ basketball and baseball at Bamberg.
Happily married for 66 years to Mary Deane “Deanie” Currie, they had three sons - Dicky (deceased), Steve and John who all attended Chapin High School. The Weldons moved to Chapin in 1971, and Dick was owner of Eagles Corner. He was also a partner in Lake Murray Properties and active in the Chapin Chamber, Sertoma and Ruritan Clubs, Chapin Labor Day Parade, and Chapin United Methodist Church.